Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wow! What a look!


“What’s wrong with this picture?”

The answer?  “Nothing!”

People often ask “How did you get started in this business?” and the SparkNotes version is to simply tell them that one of my undergraduate degrees is in Photo-journalism. I freelanced all through college as a wedding photographer and saw through the lens…everything that was “right” (and plenty that was wrong) about weddings.

As a result, the ability to visualize the finished look/album is very easy for me. Additionally, it is easy for me to paint that verbal picture to my brides and as a result they quickly “get it” as we are creating her most beautiful look/day.

The picture posted above is one that struck me from Town and Country (one of my personal favorite publications). I  have had it above my desk for weeks and wanted to share it with you. More importantly, I wanted to share why this portrait is so good.  You might even want to emulate some of these details in your own wedding day photography.   

       1. Overall the picture is very well lighted i.e.the hem of the gown is not in a shadow, nor are their faces 
           washed out by too much flash.  
       2. Anytime there is symmetry in the background (the molding and the chandeliers), the eye goes directly 
           to the center.In this case...this handsome couple.  
       3. Note the almost casual feeling to such a formal pose i.e. his hand in his pocket and her hand on his 
           shoulder.Very,very cool.  
       4. The benefit of her hand on his shoulder is that it allows her small waist to show. If she had her arm 
           behind his back....that would not be possible.They would be too "Merged" at the waistline.  
       5. I love the postioning of her bouquet. I shows off the flowers (green cymbidium orchids, Lady Diana 
          roses and Blush peonies) and yet showcases the dropped waistline of the gown.  
       6. I think it’s kind of nice the way the waistline bow detail isn’t so “forced.” By her angled to the center, 
          the bow is more of a hint, than a statement  
       7.One of the things that makes this photograph so couple-y, is the way their heads are almost touching, 
          as opposed to standing straight upright.Always, always lean INTO the person with whom you are
          being photographed.
       8. His jacket is buttoned (always makes a guy look taller and slimmer) and he has the requisite “inch of 
          linen" showing in his cuff. There is even a hint of hand,so his left side makes sense. If that detail was 
          ignored...he would have looked much wider as the sleeve would have merged into the jacket.  
      9. Note too that little bend of the knee…it gives his side of the picture some interest as that buckle in the
         pants sort of echoes the gathers in her skirt on the opposite side.  
    10. And lastly, though I miss the veil…do you see the way the casual, lacey ribbons on the bouquet 
          replicate the shoelace tie bow on her shoulder? (Great styling on the part of the florist.) 

For this wedding planner...this picture is a keeper. I use it illustrate to my couples how the difference really is in the details. You might want to keep it too and show it to your photographer. Let me know what you think.
 

Happy posing!
Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment