Thursday, October 13, 2011

Architect’s Field Day a.k.a Buying Trip


Like most of the high-end store owners…the New York market calls to us this weekend. The perceived “glamour” of “going to New York on a buying trip” has long faded in the dozens of times I have made the trip, but the thing that never recedes is the excitement of seeing long-time friends.


Over the last three decades in becoming known in the bridal industry, I have not only developed a fondness for many of the sales reps but of course have a personal friendship with many of the designers. I know that for some of them, my visit is a litmus test of “How will this gown be perceived by the public?” It’s sometimes a bit awkward for me though, as the newbies watch and wait to hear my feedback. (Sometimes it is like one of the competition reality shows i.e. Celebrity Apprentice, American Idol, Iron Chef, Cake Boss when an expert does an evaluation.)

I always try to couch my remarks with two positive things for every not-so-positive comment. (No Simon Cowell in Michael Nolte!)

But the couture guys can miss the mark by just a little bit and sometimes suggesting a tweak takes a gown that is “almost fabulous” to “over the top amazing.” I have always felt I was a frustrated architect at heart and this construction project is very fulfilling.

If the comments can’t be offered in the showroom (because of other buyers present), inevitably they ask during a private dinner or cocktail gathering after the showrooms close. It’s an interesting back story to how the gowns come to be.  

I can’t wait to see some of the new stuff, re-load our popular jewelry cases and treat a couple of fabulous employees to the treat of the Buying Trip experience for the first time.

I’ll let you know what we find…. ;( and what I’ve tweaked!)

No comments:

Post a Comment